The Roman Catholic Parish of St. Clare of Assisi Parish was founded in mid-1800 by people of Irish descent. The first resident pastor was Fr. Richard Sullivan and the parish was named St. Victor’s. In 2011, St. Victor Parish was merged with St. Rose of Lima, Brodhead and assumed the name St. Clare of Assisi. According to Catholic Church law, when parishes merge to become one, a new name is chosen thus we are now known as St. Clare of Assisi Parish. Our parish of 900 households encompasses Green County and beyond, including residents in Northern Illinois.
The first church was destroyed by fire on November 1, 1891, and a new church was built in 1892 and consecrated after its completion in 1893. Our church building underwent major renovations in 1942/43 for its 50th anniversary, and again in 2006 for the installation of the 1968 pipe organ dedicated in memory of parishioner Matthew Ronald Buholzer.
The parish’s Catholic School was established in 1916 and it has retained the name St. Victor School. The Sisters of St. Dominic, with motherhouse in Racine, WI, taught in the school until the 1970’s. Religious Sisters of other orders also taught in the school over the years including the Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Family, the School Sisters of St. Francis, Sinsinawa Dominicans, Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi, the Sisters of St. Agnes, and the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Our school currently has about 140 students in grades 4-K through 5th.
Top left: St. Victor Church, Monroe; Bottom right, St. Rose of Lima Church, Brodhead